Joe and Lee Coursey of Russellville Dental Lab attended the ICOI Winter Symposium 2008 in Las Vegas, Nevada on February 7th through the 9th. The conference dealt with the multitude of issues surrounding the use of oral implants in restorative dentistry, but also served to show what can be done.
Some of the biggest names in the business showed up as speakers and as attendees. Notable speakers included:
- Dr. Paul Homoly talking about “Making It Easy for Patients to Say ‘Yes’!” – a different approach away from educating the patient to enable more patients to say Yes to more $10,000+ cases.
- Dr. Shadi Dahar: Placement of Implants in Compromised Bone – a “bone flap” approach to getting implants in and osseointegrated.
- Drs. Richard Kraut & John Dyer talking about high volume, low cost implant dentistry and the multitude of case types they run in to.
- Dr. Carl Misch discussed what solutions give the patient the highest long term, predictable success.
- Dr. Paul Petrungaro had a fascinating and truly informational presentation on preserving the soft tissue around the atraumatic extraction, and how to approach long term success with soft tissue.
- Dr. Paolo Malo talking about the All-On-4™ concept, and specifically how to use it in the maximum number or patients – not just those with perfect bone mass. Much discussion was given to zygomatic implants.
The whole panel was a fascinating look at the field of oral implants. Some truly inspirational cases were presented for restorations with basicallly no bone in either the maxilla or mandible. Some great “to treat or not to treat” decision trees were also presented that you will probably see in Journals very soon.